With simply paper and creativity anyone can create art


Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Birdhouse Treat Box (Meg's Garden and Green Tara)

I modified my own template from my gingerbread house box that I made for Christmas and came up with this cute little birdhouse box and the roof is actually a card. The box is made of one 12x12 sheet of paper from the brand new "Forget Me Not" collection. Meg's Garden also sells gorgeous trims, laces and flowers (including Green Tara :)  Here I used Green Tara cherry blossoms, paper leaves, lace and trim. The bird was cut out of another paper from the collection and I watercolored it blue to match and added feathers.


Since Meg's Garden prints on long sheets, you get a 12x12 plus a 4x12 strip (single sided) with every paper in the collection. 4x12 is a perfect size for cards! I used the coordinating strip for the outside of the birdhouse roof. As you can see, the florals are a fussy cutter's heaven. The papers aren't too thick to cramp up your hands so fussy cutting is made very easy with these papers.

Here is the underside of the roof - I created a card by glueing another excess paper strip (back to back) from a different sheet in the collection - which is the inside of the card. All it needed was a stamped phrase to complete it. To attach the card just use a clamp clip to the top of the box and decorate with lace/trim.

Here are the modifications (in yellow) to my original template. You need to put the hole at the outer edge instead of third row in (window for gingerbread house) and you may want the box a little taller (optional) and the roof a little wider than the gingerbread house version too. The same for everything else though!

Thanks for stopping by to take a peek at my project today!

5 comments:

jennifer berkhahn said...

Great birdhouse. My FIL loves birdhouses, this would be perfect to give to him as a gift. Thanks for the inspiration.

MD said...

super bravo *

Molly said...

Simply Lovely...love the bird house.

http://molly1989-mollysplace.blogspot.com/2012/04/5050-giveaway.html

Cathy said...

Gorgeous birdcage creation Vicky.. very creative!! :))

Eila Sandberg said...

I just adored it when I first saw it over at Meg's, it's soooo sweet! clever you girl! xoxox